The custom petition fields feature allows admins to collect signer information that's specific to a single petition. For example, if you're running a campaign targeting an employer, you could add a checkbox asking the signer if they're an employee of the company. Alternatively, if you're running a campaign targeting a school district, you could include a text field that asks which school within the district the signer is associated with or their role within the school district (parent, teacher, etc.).
To add a custom field to a petition, go to the petition's signature page > Admin > Settings > Signature Form. Then click Add A Custom Field.
From this screen you can enter information about your new custom field.
- The Short name is for internal use only. It will appear as the column label in the petition's signature export CSV and will be listed as an available field name in the custom PDF generator.
- Next, choose the Type of field you want to use. The text field option will allow the signer to type a full text response. The checkbox option will be shown as a 1 or 0 in the signature CSV export. If a 1 is shown, the box was checked. If a 0 is shown, the box was left unchecked.
- Finally, the Label is the public-facing text that is shown to the signer on the signature form.
When you've finished entering information about the custom field, click Save and the field will be added to the signature form.
If you need to add another field or edit an existing field, you can do so from the same Admin > Settings > Signature Form section.
- To edit an existing field, click the pencil icon.
- To delete a field, click the x button. Note that this cannot be undone. If signers previously responded to the custom field and then it is deleted, those responses will not be included in subsequent CSV exports and will not be available for the Custom PDF export.
- You can reorder existing fields by clicking the up and down arrows or by holding and dragging the speckled box located to the left of the slug column.
Once these custom fields have been added to the signature form, they will be included in the Download Signatures CSV available from the petition's Admin > Signatures tab.
Additionally, these fields will be included in the available fields for the Custom Petition Delivery PDF (also available from the Admin > Signatures tab). Note that this page uses the short name of the field, so make sure that the short name is descriptive enough.
Want to see these new options in action? Check out the petition used in this example here.
N.b.: If there's an additional signature field that you want to collect on ALL petitions, you should not use this custom petition fields feature. Instead, send us a support email (email@example.com) and we'll add the field to all current and future petitions for you.